Friday, November 11, 2005

I GOT COOKIES!! (because I told a little green monkey how to subtract polynomials)

One day I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when all-of-a-sudden this tiny green monkey jumped out from behind a dumpster. At first I thought the monkey was really sick, but then he began to speak. He said "Earthling, my name is Juju, I come from the planet of monkey math." Right away I figured that either this was an alien I was seeing, or I was sleeping. So I pinched myslef and sure enough, I was awake talking to a space monkey. So I said to him "Greetings monkey, my name is Jason. What do you need from me?" Then he told me a long story of how his home planet was obsessed with mathematics, but there was only one thing they didn't know, they didn't know how to "SUBTRACT POLYNOMIALS" and I was the only living creature in the universe that knew how to. I didn't really feel like telling him, because im really lazy, but then he siad "If you tell me, I'll give you some cookies!" That ofcourse sucked me in and I told him.

"If you want to subtract polynomials, you ADD THE OPPOSITE, which means use the additive inverse." he then said "Just like subtracting integers?" I told him "Yes, it is very similar, except polynomials are bigger that integers. An integer is only one number, however, a polynomial can be much bigger because there are CONSTANTS, VARIABLES, and NUMERICAL COEFFICENTS." He began to understand right away, but did not fully get it until I gave him an example. This is the example I gave him.

(3x+4)-(7x-2)=

step 1)place the polynomials line over line on top of eachother
3x+4
-7x-2
------
step 2)change the subtract sign to an addition sign
3x+4
+7x-2
------
step3)change the signs of the numbers in the second polynomial
3x+4
+-7x+2
-------
step 4) do the addition and get your answer.
3x+4
+-7x+2
-------
-4x+6

Once I told him that he gave me a bag of double stuffed oreo cookies, the best cookies in the world. And he climbed into a little spaceship and took off. I will always remember the day I told a little monkey about how to subtract polynomials.

8 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Arvin A. said...

didnt the aliens startle ms armstrong?? hmmm....
i smell a conspiracy!!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Miss Nicholson said...

Hey Jason!

The aliens sure were lucky to find you! A wonderful explanation- couldn't have done better myself. :)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Ms. Armstrong said...

Witty, creative, and accurate...I love those qualities.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Mr. Kuropatwa said...

I've really enjoyed reading this story. Aliens, monkeys and math -- all the elements of a classic. ;-)

I hope you guys have more stories to tell!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Larinda C. said...

..Jason.. can I have a cookie too?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Desiree H said...

wow!!! not only does jason know how to do math but he makes it fun!!!! (sarcasm =/)

-Desi the great

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Dallas.c said...

Larinda You look weird on the web cam. almost like I am in real life -:)


TEEHEE!!!

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous mrs. silva said...

all of a sudden Math is making sense to me.

I too want to read more stories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home